Have you been writing a brain dump list in an effort to take your thoughts captive?
We know our minds can be a dangerous place. When our thoughts swirl out of control, our hearts fall prey and stray from rest.
We know we ought to “take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ.”
So we intentionally arrest those swirling thoughts and line them up to see them clearly.
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things'”
Philippians 4:8 (NIV)
It is time to replace those swirling thoughts with such things.
Our natural tendency is to dwell on thoughts that breed anxiety, overwhelm, and fatigue. As always, God has a better way for us.
Our anxious thoughts are now captive. Let’s replace them what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy.
It might be helpful to categorize those swirling thoughts first. Observe one thought from your brain dump list. Perhaps it falls in one of these categories:
- Past sin or current guilt – You really did speak rashly, choose disobediently, rebel stubbornly.
- External circumstance – You have absolutely no control over this detail that affects your heart.
- A task to accomplish – You know you should just do the task, but there are so many you don’t know where to start.
Now, write the truth OVER that captive thought:
- Guilt & Shame – I AM FORGIVEN because JESUS IS MY REDEEMER.
- Difficult Circumstances – I AM LOVED in the midst because MY FATHER IS LOVE.
- Task to accomplish – I AM ABLE because GOD CREATED ME FOR GOOD WORKS.
- Task to accomplish – But I AM ALSO DISCERNING because I HAVE THE MIND OF CHRIST. I know I cannot and need not do everything.
This list is just the beginning. Consider this a starting point as you ask the Lord how you should replace your captive thoughts.
Replace those captive thoughts by dwelling on such things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Consider the truth about who you are in light of Who He is.
Oh moms, this seed of rest is huge! This might take some time, but the fruit is worth the effort.
Yes, rest only comes after work.
Today’s Seed of Rest
Replace your captive thoughts.
Pull our your brain dump list. Do you need to add any more swirling thoughts?
Categorize each thought, and write truth over each statement.
Dwell on these thoughts.
Leave a Reply