We can boldly approach God’s throne because we approach in the Name of Jesus, as discussed yesterday. Yet, when we approach Him, what are we supposed to actually say?
As an introvert, thinking of what to say can be difficult for me. This is especially true when I pray. Thinking of words to pray for just five minutes used to be overwhelming for me. Praying for a full hour seemed like a total impossibility.
With practice, however, I am learning.
The best way I have found to pray is to declare the Truth of God’s Word. That provides me assurance that I am praying according to His will. Plus, it simply gives me words to say in prayer.
In declaring God’s Word, I am following the example of Jacob when he returned home. He knew that his brother Esau was coming to meet him. After their conflict years before, Jacob did not know what to expect from Esau. He feared for the safety of himself and his family.
So he prayed.
“Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau…For You said, ‘I will surely prosper you and make your descendants as the sand of the sea, which is too great to be numbered.‘” (Read his full prayer in Genesis 32:9-12)
For You said.
Jacob remembered what God had previously promised him. His plea for protection rested on the foundation of God’s Word. He believed the promise was true just because God had said it. So he declared that truth.
What has God said to you?
It’s not a trick question. Open your Bible and start reading. His Word is right before you. Ask Him to remind you of the Scripture that you already know. Then declare that His Word is true.
There are two truths in Scripture we can declare:
Declare the Truth of God’s Promises
God’s Word is full of promises! Which promise does your heart need to hear you say today?
- God is with you (Joshua 1:9).
- All things work together for good (Romans 8:28).
- God’s plans for you are good (Jeremiah 29:11).
- God will complete the work He started in you (Philippians 1:6).
- Your sin is completely forgiven (Psalm 103:12).
Just remember: these promises are true if you have a true relationship with Jesus.
Declare the Truth of God’s Name
The Name of Jesus is high above every other name. He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He is the Great I AM, the provider of every need we have. Sometimes, we need to declare Who He is to remind ourselves the truth.
- Struggling with fear and anxiety? God is Jehovah-Shalom, Our Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
- Struggling with finances? God is Jehovah-Jireh, The Lord will Provide. (Genesis 22:14)
- Struggling with loneliness? God is Immanuel, God With Us. (Matthew 1:23)
- Feeling forgotten? God is El Roi, The God who Sees. (Genesis 16:13)
- Feeling weak? God is Elohim, The All-Powerful One. (Genesis 1:1)
- Feeling defeated? God is Jehovah-Nissi, My Banner of Victory. (Exodus 17:15)
Declare the Truth of God’s Promise.
Declare the Truth of God’s Name.
What is going on in your circumstances today?
Which promise or Name of God do you need to remind yourself?
Declare the truth. Out loud.
Leave a Reply